Thursday, April 26, 2007

Surf, City, and Style

Image while on a backpacking trip on the Juan de Fuca Marine Trail through Sombrio Beach... a mecca for local surfing
Occasionally I come across a site that totally blows my mind. Right now I am absolutely lovin' this website logo from Sitka Surfboards here in Victoria...

I can stare at this pic and pick out so many elements unique to my homeland: The vine-coated Empress Hotel, our amazing wildlife like the Grizzly and Spirit Bear (BC's official mascot), our lush Sitka Spruce forests (reminds me of a remarkable book I blogged about a bit ago... The Golden Spruce), and our sensational westcoast surf. A wicked design....
The site even has surf forecast and cams for our Vancouver Island breaks, which is totally useful (yes, Canada has surfing... the best right here on my doorstep!). And Christian and Krysti keep the Sitka store on Yates chockfull of good stuff. I never cease to be impressed by homegrown talent...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a way cool design. i esp like how spruce branches are invading the condos in the site image (rural sanctuary versus urban encrouchment... naturalists versus developers). impressive post, T!

Anonymous said...

Goodness, that is a beautiful website. Love the layout and design! Nice fine!

Anonymous said...

I really do like this picture. About time Victoria became more hip in it's imagery. Very cool!!

Anonymous said...

You take wonderful pictures. And kudos to you for doing that hiking trip. That is maddening at its best: steep terrain, slippery swing bridges, rocky slopes -- and plus that bloody backbreaking backpack. 4 days? How about that West Coast Trail? Its refreshing to come across a "designer" who enjoys and appreciates the outdoors as much as you (typical Islanders!).

Nice post!!!