Thursday, May 3, 2007

My Life as a House

One of my favourite pastimes is admiring the variety of heritage homes here in historic Victoria. The city is rich in history and architectural heritage, and the houses built at the turn of the century and later are all so uniquely beautiful. I love to think that each house has a story...
The very talented University of Victoria Art graduate Andrea Pratt captures this enchantment in her "Stories" series, My Life as a House in acrylic. Simply stunning...
This will be Andrea's contribution to this year's fundraiser for the Federation of Canadian Artists, the Paintings By Numbers show on September 21, 2007. Click here to see last year's art work.

8 comments:

andrea said...

Ha! My first thought was, "I have a painting with the same name!" then I scrolled down... :)

FYI this painting, showing a house as it changes over the decades of its lifetime, is my contribution to this year's Paintings By Numbers Show, a fundraiser for the FCA that is a ton-o-fun! There are 60 tickets, worth $550 each, sold (and they go fast!) and 60 artists donate a painting worth $550 or more (this one's value is $900). Then there's a fun evening where all the works are on display, hors d'oevures and drinks are served, and art buyers mingle with artists. One by one each ticket is drawn, so the first person whose ticket is drawn gets first choice among 60 different paintings! It's a total win-win situation.

This year's info: Friday, September 21, 2007 - PERFORMANCE WORKS - GRANVILLE ISLAND, VANCOUVER, BC.

Details will be on the FCA website here http://www.artists.ca/ very soon. You can look at last year's paintings on this page: http://www.artists.ca/PBN/PBN2006/index.html

** Terramia ** said...

Wow.... thank you Andrea!
Sounds like an exciting evening... like you said a "total win-win situation" -- you are guaranteed to walk away with a unique piece of art!
Hmmmm.... what could be better? Perhaps landing this stunning art piece? (;
Thanks for the scoop!

Anonymous said...

Sounds amazing. Wish I lived close enough to participate. This piece is fabulous.

Anonymous said...

What a cool fundraising idea!

Anonymous said...

Andrea's art is amazing. Where is that house you took a photo of? It's beautiful.

** Terramia ** said...

I took the photo while I was on a walk on Fort Street (aka "Antique Row") here in Victoria... it's a beautiful, narrow heritage home almost hidden in between two lovely home decor stores. I just love it... the lush surroundings and stunning design!

Helen said...

I loved everything in your post today, from the wrap dress to the character home. Thanks for sharing!

Rachel Schell said...

I knew that art looked familiar! LOVE it....I hadn't seen that one before.